ISSN 0846-3611 – Wolf Kuehn, F.G.G., F.G.A., Editor
Gemmology Canada is publishing the quarterly CIGem Newsletter and selected articles written by students of the Canadian Institute of Gemmology in fulfilment of their “Accredited Gemmologist (C.I.G.)” diploma requirements and by other contributors. The articles are posted here in their original form as submitted and have not been altered; they express the opinions of their authors.
We have moved current news and discussion to our Facebook page Gemlab Research & Technology
Please note: This section has not been updated since 2008; as a consequence information provided in the student’s papers may not be up-to-date.
You are permitted to link or copy the content of an article but must give full credit to the author or this website (Gemology World – www.cigem.ca).
- Visual Gemmology – A Basic Approach, by Donald G. Coughlin, R.I.P.
- Gemología Visual- Una Aproximación Básica (in Spanish) by Donald G. Coughlin, R.I.P. PDF 242k
- More about Visual Gemmology by Donald G. Coughlin, R.I.P. PDF 42k
- Sri Lanka – A Gemstone Buyer’s Dream by Donald G. Coughlin, R.I.P.
- UV-LEDs – Setting a New Standard for Fluorescence Observations, by Wolf Kuehn (GIT 2008, Bangkok, Thailand) PDF 2.5 Mb – html
- Poster Session at 2nd International Gem and Jewelry Conference (GIT 2008)- See poster PDF 102 Kb
- Electron beam enhancement of colourless Topaz, by Noomie Lewinson, A.G. (C.I.G.), Gilleleje, Denmark PDF 1.0 Mb – “Zapped” Blue Topaz”
- Jadeite – a historical treatise (2001) by Kim Be Howard, A.G. (C.I.G.), Surrey, B.C. PDF 312 k (85 pages)
- Jade – Nephrite and Jadeite, by Jessie H Y King, A.G. (C.I.G.), Vancouver, B.C. PDF 7.9 MB
- A Brief Review of Gemstone Optical Properties From a Lapidary’s Perspective, by Sandrine Kunz, A.G. (C.I.G.), Geneve, Switzerland PDF 42k
- Discussing the Identification of Rough Diamonds by Kelly Ross, A.G. (C.I.G.), Edmonton, Alberta
- Crystal Opal – a 360 degree discussion, by Colin Sawrenko, A.G. (C.I.G.), Warman, S.K., PDF 2.8 MB
- Garnets, by Rachel McNally, A.G. (C.I.G.), Vancouver B.C. PDF 3.9 MB
- Diamond, by Kristen Lewis, Diamond Expert (C.I.G.), Delta B.C. PDF 4.5 MB
- Ruby: The Gem of Kings, by Kelly Gossen, A.G. (C.I.G.), Langley, B.C. PDF 6.3 MB
- Opal Formation, by Karen Seminchuk, A.G. (C.I.G.), Vancouver, B.C. PDF 4.5 MB
- The Mexican Opal by Carmen Ramirez, A.G. (C.I.G.), Queretaro, Mexico
- An Introduction and History of Tourmaline by Rona Johnston, A.G. (C.I.G.)
- The Critical Elements of Tourmaline Evaluation by Marianne Odber, A.G. (C.I.G.)
- Pearls – more than a Gemstone by Shirley Ford-Bouchard, A.G. (C.I.G.)
- Diamond synthesis and market place, by Nicholas J Houghton, A.G. (C.I.G.), Vancouver, B.C. PDF 2.7 MB
- Alexandrite, Variety of Chrysoberyl, Andrey Tolmachev, A.G. (C.I.G.), Vancouver, B.C. PDF 2.7MB
- Ruby & Sapphire of East Africa, Beatrice Faradji, A.G. (C.I.G.), Dar es Salaam, Tanzania PDF 5.5 MB
- Diamonds, a report by Catherine Trueman, A.G. (C.I.G.), Whistler, B.C. PDF 4.9 MB
- Fracture Filling of Diamonds by Janina Skawinska, A.G. (C.I.G.), Winnipeg
- Famous Fancy Diamonds: a brief history by Linda Crane, Winnipeg
- Response to Death of the Thai Ruby by Scott Montgomery
- Gem Deposits of Brazil by Kalil K Elawar – a Powerpoint Presentation edited by J. Wolf Kuehn PDF 1.5 Mb
More News are can be found at The News Bulletin section.