At the moment you can do the following
- View/Download updated course materials. You have to log-in below.
- Access the GLGemSpec database developed by Gemlab Research and Technology and users of the GL Gem Spectrometer.
- For professional and associate members: Pay the annual membership/user fee
- Order books and gemmological instruments on-line at Gemlab Books & Instruments.
- C.I.G. students can complete assignments on-line.
To log-in to the Student Support Area go here.
Recommended websites related to Gemmology
The following links are provided to allow C.I.G. students and other gemmologists keep up-to-date with developments in the industry. Copyright and content responsibility remain with the linked organization and do not represent any endorsement or opinion of the Canadian Institute of Gemmology.
- Introduction to Gemology . A great on-line course by Barbara Smigel, PhD, GG.
- GE0 347K Gems and Gem Minerals Notes – excellent resource materials.
- EOSC 116 -Earth’s Treasures: Gold and Gems – nice on-line course from UBC, Vancouver, Canada
- Gems and Precious Stones. The first free on-line gemmology course.Earth’s Treasures: Gold and Gems
- Mineral & Gemstone Database for gemstones
- Minerals by Name. A complete database of mineral species.
- Answers to your questions about jewelers, appraisers, gems & jewelry
- The Russian Gemological Server
- Try the Gem-e-Wizard™ – on-line educational tool for colour grading of gems.
- GIA’s Gems and Gemology Magazine Read the newest articles in G&G
- Price Scope Diamond Journal Interesting articles on Diamond Grading
- Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Maker’s Marks
- Gemas. A gemmology course – on-line in Spanish!
- Ganoksin Online – an amazing jewellery website.
- Geminterest – huge site with gemmological infos(in French)
- Instituto Brasileiro de Gemas e Metais Preciosos(in Portuguese)
- NOVA Online: – The Diamond Deception. Excellent resource from all perspectives.
- The Gemstone Gallery – info on minerals, gemstones, microscopy, and web authoring tutorials.
- JCRS – resources for jewellery appraisers.
- Pearl-Guide.com. Excellent resource for pearls.