Tuition in Can$ plus 5% GST for Canadian residents
Due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) all practical classes have been suspended until further notice.
For non-residents US$ 360 includes non-refundable registration fee of US$ 60 and taxes; please request pro-forma invoice at checkout. * Foreign students must enter Canada on a visitor's visa; copy of official Visa document must be provided 40 days prior to course commencement.
This advanced course is an introduction into spectroscopy using the GL Gem Spectrometer and GL Gem Raman PL532 system; participants are expected to have a basic understanding of spectroscopy and its application for gemmology.
- Using PowerPoint presentations the development and use of advanced spectrometers is introduced.
- Learning step-by-step testing method for the GL Gem Spectrometer and use of the GLGemRaman software and searchable database.
- Practical testing of a number of interesting gem materials by the participants under supervision of the workshop facilitator; most up-to-date information on synthetic diamonds including CVD, HPHT and irradiation treatments and their detection.
- Prerequisite: previous practical experience with spectroscope/spectrometer and good understanding of the theoretical aspects of spectroscopy (please contact us for admission requirements).
- Limited to 4 participants; download course flyer (PDF).
Presenter: Wolf Kuehn, B.A., M.A., PDP (SFU), Dipl.oec, FGG
GEM 350-2: Tuesday, May 1 from 12:30 – 5:30 p.m. (5 hours).CANCELLED. Will be rescheduled.
- GEM 350-1: Tuesday, November 13, 2019 from 12:30 - 6:00 p.m. (5 1/2 hours). SORRY FULL Standby-list
- Sandman Signature Hotel - Vancouver Airport, Richmond B.C.
- Fee: Can$ $ 395; to keep costs down no lunch or beverage services are offered.
Please wait with travel arrangements until final confirmation.
If you are not a Canadian or American resident you may need an entry Tourist Visa; for more information please contact the Canadian Embassy in your home country. For this workshop we only accept foreign students who are also registered in GEM 250; please allow between 2 - 5 months for processing your visa application.
View/Download and read carefully our refund policy (PDF).
The Canadian Institute of Gemmology has been approved by the Minister of Employment Workforce Development and Labour as an educational institution; Canadian students are entitled to a tuition tax credit under subsection 118.5(1(a)(ii) of the Income Tax Act (please use your receipt for your claim).